Monday 7 January 2013

Picture Book - I Want My Hat Back - Jon Klassen (Author & Illustrator)


Picture Book - I Want My Hat Back - Jon Klassen (Author & Illustrator)


Recommended for: Babies/Toddlers/Younger Readers




Oh, this is good. This is so, so good.

A short while ago, I declared that The Princess and The Pig by Jonathan Emmett was my favourite picture book of all time. Now, I still love that book, but I'm afraid it's been usurped. I Want My Hat Back is my favourite present that my son received this Christmas, so many many thanks to my Uncle for spotting it. This book had me in stitches, and it's rare that you'll find a picture book that will genuinely be making you laugh.

There's a delightful quirkiness to the illustrations, and it's these illustrations that make the humour so complete. The way a shifty look is portrayed as one character lies about knowing nothing of bear's hat is brilliant, as is the pay off at the end when bear has had his revenge. It revisits dialogue from earlier in the book to maximum comedy effect, and even if your child enjoys it just for being a story where bear gets his hat back in the end, it's guaranteed to make you smile at the conclusion.

I almost feel like this book was written just for me, it fits my sense of humour so well. I have a feeling that this is going to become one of my son's favourites very, very quickly. As if he has a choice in the matter...

10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment