Thursday 25 July 2013

Picture Book Review - Today I Will Fly! (Elephant & Piggie) - Mo Willems (Author & Illustrator)

Picture Book Review - Today I Will Fly! (Elephant & Piggie) - Mo Willems (Author & Illustrator)

Recommended for - Toddlers/Younger Readers



If you've not read an Elephant & Piggie book, I suggest you rectify that straight away (at your local library, of course...). This one is good fun, although it isn't my favourite, but as I'd recommend getting as many as you can out in one go, then make sure you check this one out still.

Piggie decides one day that she will fly. Although Gerald tells her it won't work, and that she needs help, she keeps trying, until finally she manages it with the help of a pelican (I think it's a pelican...).

My favourite part of the Elephant & Piggie books is the dialogue between the two main characters, and although I think other titles are stronger in this respect, it's still a great example of how the two friends inspire each other (often remaining hilariously blind to sarcasm). By the end of the book, Gerald decides that he too would like to fly, and what better friendship than what which inspires your friend to try something fun?

If I didn't enjoy this quite as much as some of the other Elephant & Piggie books, it's not to say that I didn't think it was excellent - I think Mo Willems has just set such a high standard that, when there are other books in the series that I have laughed at more, I can't mark this quite as high.

Well worth checking out, and then making sure you check out more of the Elephant & Piggie series to see how it gets even better.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment