Thursday 25 July 2013

Picture Book Review - Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late - Mo Willems (Author & Illustrator)

Picture Book Review - Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late - Mo Willems (Author & Illustrator)

Recommended for - Toddlers/Younger Readers



Good good, more of the pigeon!

We're warned that the pigeon is sleepy, and that he shouldn't let him stay up late. He does his best to convince us otherwise, but little yawns and tired eyes begin to creep in, and eventually he drops off to sleep.

I'm pretty certain that most parents will recognise the pigeon in their child here. Although I'm not quite there with my son, it's only because he can't talk properly yet - I'm certain that when he can he'll be trying to convince me that he isn't tired either. It's hilarious watching the odd little yawn escape from the pigeon's mouth, just after he's assured us he isn't tired, as I know full well that I still do this myself even now, and I'm the grand old age of 27. The pigeon tries all sorts of methods to get us to let him stay awake, asking how our day is, and using his toy bunny to bribe us ('You can't say 'No' to a bunny, can you?'), but to no avail.

Once again, I can't praise Mo Willems' illustrations highly enough, for they really enhance the story and the humour. The lines under the pigeon's eyes become more pronounced as the story goes on and becomes more and more tired, and I still love how damn angry he looks, and how he tries to appear innocent and fails completely. It's also great how hot dogs are mentioned a couple of times, tying into one of the previous books, The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!.

Please, if you haven't checked out Mo Willems work yet, make sure you do. You won't regret it.

10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment