Friday 30 October 2015

Picture Book Review - Missing Jack - Rebecca Elliott (Author & Illustrator)

Picture Book Review - Missing Jack - Rebecca Elliott (Author & Illustrator)


Blimey, I've only just got over the emotion of Grandad's Island and now I'm being hit with the story of a boy whose pet cat has died! I've been there several times myself so this has struck quite a chord, but it doesn't matter if you or your kids don't have cats particularly; you can apply this to any pets.

The story deals very sensitively with the issue of pets dying, never trying to shy away from it being a sad event where you won't get to see your pet again, but instead embracing the fact that you can remember the good times, and that other pets can come along who can be part of the family too without replacing the old pets.

The illustrations are bright which help to keep the story positive, and I'm really taken with the drawing style. It's the perfect way to help children understand about the death of a pet, and the joy of getting a new one.

Just finish dabbing my eyes here...

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment