Wednesday 15 May 2013

Picture Book - Mr Pusskins and Little Whiskers - Sam Lloyd (Author & Illustrator)

Picture Book - Mr Pusskins and Little Whiskers - Sam Lloyd (Author & Illustrator)

Recommended for - Babies/Toddlers/Younger Readers




I'm a sucker for a story about a grumpy cat (owning one myself), so the expression on the front cover drew me in straight away.

Mr Pusskins lives quite happily with his owner Emily, when she suddenly announces that she has a wonderful surprise - a kitten! Mr Pusskins is less than happy however, so will he be able to make friends with this new addition to the family?

I suppose in a way this is what it must be like for your first-born having to cope with their younger brother or sister coming in to the world - although hopefully it won't cause you to giggle quite as much! I really enjoyed Mr Pusskins' reactions to this turn of events, with the typewritten letter a particular highlight, and it also has a great lesson for kids that they need to apologise if they've done wrong, and that they can still make friends after a rocky start (I'm big on my lessons within books).

The style of illustrations is almost haphazard in a way, but that's not meant to be a criticism - it fits Mr Pusskins grumpy persona very well!

This is the second book of the series, so there'll be a review of the first book up soon - as long as Mr Pusskins is the same grumpy cat as in this story, I'm sure I'll enjoy it just as much!

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment