Wednesday 27 March 2013

Picture Book - This Moose Belongs to Me - Oliver Jeffers (Author & Illustrator)

Picture Book - This Moose Belongs to Me - Oliver Jeffers (Author & Illustrator)

Recommended for: Babies/Toddlers/Younger Readers



Whenever my son gets given a book for a special occasion, certain names fill me with joy, as I know I'm going to have just as much fun (if not more) than him reading it. I first read Oliver Jeffers' work with The Hueys in The New Jumper, and it was such a fantastically funny story that I was over the moon to read some more.

Joy of joys, this is just as good, full of the same quirky humour that adults will lap up, and the wonderful artistic skill that children will delight in looking at.

When Wilfred comes across a moose, he just KNOWS it was meant to be his. The moose doesn't always obey the rules that Wilfred sets out, but when he does he comes in very handy. However, someone else seems to think they own the moose, and Wilfred needs to set the record straight.

I laughed, and I laughed, and I laughed some more when reading this. Wilfred's list of rules are hilarious, particularly his use of sub sections, as are the mooses reactions to Wilfred's commands. The illustrations themselves are hilarious, and also absolutely beautiful. There's a certain something that makes the artwork unique, which I can't quite put my finger on (being as much of an art critic as I am a fried omlette), but it's instanatly recognisable, much like Jon Klassen's work.

It's hard to emphasise just how enjoyable books like this are. When reading to your child, the most important thing is that they enjoy the story and the pictures, but it's such a bonus when you're laughing to yourself all the way through. It makes your storytelling all the better, and enhances their experience. With that in mind, This Moose Belongs to Me should give you one heck of a storytime.

Miss this at your peril.

10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment